Whether you are headed to Wine Country or to Italy, the first overnight trip you take with a new partner can be tricky. Here is some must-know advice to ensure the two of you travel smoothly together.
- For your first trip together, start small, go for a weekend. See what kind of travel partners you are before you commit to a longer trip.
- Pick a place neither of you has been before. It's more fun to explore together instead of one person always taking the lead.
- If you chose to travel to a foreign country select one where either both of you speak the language or neither of you do.
- Talk about your budget. Communicate how much each of you can contribute and what you feel your daily per deum should be.
- Share responsibilities for planning. One of you finds the airline tickets, one books the rental car, etc. Then no one person is completely in control and no one person is to blame if things go wrong.
- Pace yourselves. Don’t plan too much in one day. If you like really active days: skiing, hiking, biking, so on active days, leave the evenings open or don’t plan theater or night shows.
- Be spontaneous. Too much planning can kill the fun.
- Maintain a positive attitude.
- Talk about sharing the bathroom. Time yourself and tell him how long you’ll need in the bathroom and give him the choice of sleeping in, or waiting for you.
- Be flexible and when the question arises: What shall we do today, DON”T answer, I don’t care. It is partly your responsibility to offer suggestions.
- Plan a romantic moment. Take a candle, chocolates and a bottle of something special and surprise him.
- Keep your shopping to a minimum and your luggage light.
Category: Women, Travel, Packing Pointers, Romance
Marybeth Bond, National Geographic author, writer. Twelve books, explored overed 100 countries on 7 continents. Featured guest on The Oprah Winfrey Show and founder of www.GutsyTraveler.com She has been featured over 1,000 times on TV, radio and print. She is a Contributor to National Geographic, Yahoo Travel, Travelgirl Magazine, CNN, CNN Airport Network.
Speaker, spokesperson, author, travel expert, Marybeth, the Gutsy Traveler walks the talk. She's an adventurer; biked 3,200 miles, two months across the USA, traveler to over 100 countries. Media travel expert for CBS News, CNN, ABC, NBC, NPR and National Geographic.